Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Welcome home soup . . .

Gone a month and happily home to my own kitchen! 

Serve this rich, easy-to-make tomato soup with crusty bread and enjoy.Interpret my directions with an easy hand. I sort-of measure.

Beth's Welcome Home Soup

1 onion chopped
3 cloves of garlic, rough chopped
Stir above into soup pot with about 1 TBS olive oil.

While that's cooking, add:
About 2 big handfuls of those small carrots cut in half
2-3 stalks of celery, cut bite-sized
1 green pepper, cut bite-sized

Stir fry for about 5 minutes and then add:
1 15-oz can corn
(and this next is the secret to fabulous soup)
1 28-oz can crushed Italian tomatoes (I used S&W and it had oregano & basil already in it)

Now add about half a can of water (use the 28-oz can).
Stir. Add a little more water if you like.
Add the spices gently:
About 1/2 teasp paprika
Ditto salt, pepper and cumin

Simmer 10 minutes and truly enjoy. This recipe comes from a soup I tasted in a tiny, nameless restaurant someplace south of Berkeley. I had to try to replicate the wonderful taste for their soup included tons of fresh basil (which we don't have yet).

My Country Tomato (Rachel made the placemat)
Did you try it? Let me know!






No comments: